A fruit that doubles as spaghetti?
Spaghetti squash gets it name from the fact that when roasted, if you run a fork over the flesh it separates into spaghetti like strands. And while we tend to think of it as a vegetable, it’s actually a fruit (since it has seeds).
This spaghetti squash pad thai looks intricate and interesting, but is really quite easy to whip up. You don’t have to add extra veggies, like cabbage and carrots, but I did for a pop of color and boost in nutrients. And the almond butter dressing? You’ll want to eat it with a spoon.
I also don’t like to waste anything, so I dry roasted the spaghetti squash seeds,
Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai
- 1 small/medium spaghetti squash
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/8 cup tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 green onions
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger peeled
- 1/2 -1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds (or tahini or raw sunflower seeds)
- 1-2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced thin
- 1/2 block tempeh cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups cabbage sliced thinly
- 1 inch carrot sliced into 1/2coins
- pink salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 4 Tbsp. sesame seeds optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice spaghetti squash in half, scoop out seeds, and place cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake 35-40 minutes, until a fork easily pierces the rind.
- Remove from oven, and let cool slightly before using a fork to scrape the flesh into a bowl. (It will come out in spaghetti like strands).
- Meanwhile, put all sauce ingredients into a bullet blender and blend on high until sauce is made. Can thin by adding more water if needed. Put aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium low heat. Add tempeh cubes and mushrooms and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes, until mushrooms are wilted and tempeh is golden. Add carrots and cabbage, with a pinch of salt and 1-2 tbs water. Stir occasionally for another 5 minutes. If your spaghetti squash is cold, you can add it to pan to warm through.
- Remove to serving bowl, top with Almond Butter Dressing. Can sprinkle with sunflower seeds or sesame seeds for extra crunch.
Download Real Food Remedies
Plus, you’ll receive Real Food Remedies right away, a guide to the top foods & recipes to help you slim down, banish digestive issues, reverse acne, & feel more energized.