Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Bread…need I say more? This easy recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free and will blow your chocolate-loving mind.
When I studied abroad in France back in college, I used to love pain au chocolat: literally bread with chocolate inside. And in elementary school, the first “recipe” I created was a cookie sandwich: literally 2 Keebler rainbow chocolate chip cookies in between 2 slices of wonder bread. Yes, I seriously used to eat that.
Now, I’m more of a gluten-free, avocado toast kinda girl, but I used my chocolate-in-bread-loving past as inspiration for this healthier twist on pain au chocolat.
NOTE: For the chocolate chunks, I highly recommend buying a bar of your favorite refined sugar free dark chocolate, because I have yet to find a brand of chocolate chips on the market with a good ingredient list. For a list of my favorite dark chocolate bar brand picks, see The Best Dark Chocolate Brands, Updated.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it (by clicking the stars in the upper right of the recipe card, below), and don’t forget to tag a photo @mariamarlowe or #mariamarlowe on Instagram. I’d love to see what you come up with!
Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Bread
- 3 bananas ripened
- 3 organic free-range eggs
- ½ cup almond butter preferably unsalted
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil melted
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- pinch pink salt only if your almond butter is unsalted
- 1½ oz. dark chocolate chunks *
- ½ banana sliced (optional)
- ½ oz. dark chocolate chunks *
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you have a bullet blender, blend the bananas in it until liquified, and pour into a large bowl. If no blender, in a large bowl, mash well with a fork for a few minutes, until they turn into a smooth, lump-free liquid or soup-like texture.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients to the bowl and stir well until fully combined.
- Next, add the dry ingredients: almond flour, baking powder and 1 1/2 ounces of dark chocolate chunks. Stir well.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch loaf pan with coconut oil. Pour the batter into it.
- If you like, lay the sliced banana down the middle of the loaf, and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chunks on the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before removing from pan.
- Slice and enjoy!
Download Real Food Remedies
Plus, you’ll receive Real Food Remedies right away, a guide to the top foods & recipes to help you slim down, banish digestive issues, reverse acne, & feel more energized.