This air-fried sweet potato falafel recipe is a fun and healthy upgrade to traditional deep-fried falafel.
An air-fryer uses just air – not oil – to crisp up the outside of your food. So, it’s not fried at all, it just tastes like it. Pair this air-fried sweet potato falafel with tahini, hummus, and your favorite roasted veggies or salads for a complete meal.
While authentic falafel calls for dried chickpeas that need to be soaked overnight, this quickie version can be made with canned chickpeas.
No air-fryer? No problem.
I don’t have an air-fryer, so went to my in-laws to use theirs for the recipe. However, after doing some further research, I realized that an air fryer is essentially a convection oven with a brilliant name. So you can bake this in a convection oven, or regular oven, and still get a crispy exterior.
If using a regular oven, here are some tips to ensure the crispiest “fried” shell:
- Use a pan with perforations in the bottom, like this stainless steel pizza pan. This allows maximum air circulation and a crisp crust.
- Oven “fried” foods tend to be a bit drier, so to prevent the falafel from getting too dry, brush each falafel with a drop of oil.
- Turn the fan inside your oven on – it helps the hot air circulate better resulting in a crispier finished dish.
Sweet Potato Falafel
- 1 medium sweet potato diced**
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 1 cup red onion diced (medium sized)
- ½ cup cilantro chopped coarsely
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley chopped coarsely
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1½ tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. unrefined salt (real, pink, or Celtic salt)
- 3 Tbsp. chickpea flour or almond flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Soften the sweet potato, either by microwave or steaming. To microwave, add the cubes to a microwave-safe dish, microwave about 3-5 minutes until soft. To steam, fill a pot with a steamer basket with one-inch of water. Bring it to a boil, add the sweet potatoes into the steamer basket, cover, and steam for about 10 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Next combine all ingredients in the blender, and blend until a you have a smooth-ish consistency. A little chunky is ok.
- Remove to a bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, to firm up.
- Spoon about a tablespoon or so into your hand and roll into a 1-inch ball. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Air fry at 375F for 15-18 minutes.
- Serve with tahini, hummus, and your favorite veggies.
Clearer Skin in Just 3 Days
Plus, you’ll receive The Glow Up Guide right away, a delicious 3-day meal plan to reduce redness and bumps, fast.