Kookoo Sabzi is a traditional Persian dish that is similar to a frittata but flips the ratio of eggs to herbs, hence its vibrant green color. Aromatic and flavorful, this one-pan dish is easy to whip up and makes for a perfect brunch, lunch, or light dinner entree.
I was first introduced to this delicious dish by my dear friend, Tara Kangarlou. Tara is a well-respected journalist and just finished her first book detailing stories from her home country of Iran.
Watch the video clip here:
View this post on Instagram
- 2 potatoes medium-sized
- 1½ cups baby spinach minced (100 g)
- 1½ cups flat-leaf parsley minced (100 g)
- 1½ cups cilantro minced (100 g)
- 1½ cups green onion / scallion minced (100 g)
- 3/4 cup fresh dill minced (50 g)
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce minced
- 4 eggs, organic, pasture-raised
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. pink salt or celtic salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. dried barberry (optional) (Sub: cranberry, goji berry, or pomegranate)
- 1/4 cup walnuts (raw) chopped
- Bring a medium or large pot of water to a boil. Peel the potatoes and boil them over medium heat until easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Drain and let them cool. Meanwhile, chop the spinach, herbs, and lettuce and put in a large bowl.
- Grate the potatoes and garlic into the bowl and stir well.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and then pour them into the herb bowl along with turmeric, salt, and pepper. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Heat a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Add the oil. When hot, add the egg and herb mixture. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, until the top is solid.
- Once the top is firm, remove the lid and cut the kookoo into 4 even slices using your spatula. Carefully flip each piece, so the brown side is up. Let it cook, unvocered, for another 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with dried berries, pomegranate, and chopped walnuts and serve
Clearer Skin in Just 3 Days
Plus, you’ll receive The Glow Up Guide right away, a delicious 3-day meal plan to reduce redness and bumps, fast.