Plantains are having a moment right now, and this quick Coconut Plantains with Chimichurri recipe is a healthier take on traditional fried plantains (or tostones).
I love making these as a quick side dish to dip in guacamole, or an herb-heavy chimichurri sauce.
Notes When Cooking with Plantains
When plantains are green, they are not sweet – they are starchy. So this tastes more like a little potato wedge than a banana.
If you buy green plantains and wait too long to use them, they will ripen and turn yellow, at which point they will be sweet, more like a banana, and better used for dessert (like caramelized bananas).
Healthier Fried Plantains
Tostones or fried plantains are typically deep fried in vegetable oil – twice. This version calls for a quick pan-fry in unrefined coconut oil, instead.
For the Chimichurri sauce, I also substantially cut down the oil and increased the greens – for a bright and delicious dip that is healthier, too,
Try This Healthier Plantain Recipe
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it (by clicking the stars in the upper right of the recipe card, below), and don’t forget to tag a photo @mariamarlowe or #mariamarlowe on Instagram or Facebook. I’d love to see what you come up with!
Coconut Plantains with Chimichurri
- 2 green plantains peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil unrefined
- First, make the chimichurri sauce: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together well with a fork. Set aside.
- Heat a medium-large frying pan over medium heat. Add the coconut oil and swirl it around until it is evenly coated.
- Carefully lay as many plantains on the pan flat as you can, without them touching. They should each have a little space in between. Let them cook on one side for about 1-2 minutes, just until it gets a golden yellow, before flipping and cooking the other side for 1-2 minutes. Remove to a plate when done. Repeat with any remaining plantains.
- You could sprinkle the plantains with a pinch of pink salt while cooking to eat on their own, or serve plantains with the chimichurri sauce.
Download Real Food Remedies
Plus, you’ll receive Real Food Remedies right away, a guide to the top foods & recipes to help you slim down, banish digestive issues, reverse acne, & feel more energized.