This Better Bolognese is a weeknight staple in our house – loaded with additional veggies and mushrooms, it can be made either with organic meat or without it for a hearty vegan version.
I made this on an episode of The Doctors on CBS. We did a whole segment on the Health Benefits of Mushrooms and How to Increase Vitamin D in Mushrooms before cooking. Check those posts for the highlights!
I love putting this sauce over spiralized zucchini noodles, or one of my favorite brands of gluten-free pasta. My husband sometimes eats it just on its own, as it’s quite delish and chunky, like a stew.
To speed up chopping the veggies, I’m obsessed with my veggie chopper from Amazon. It perfectly dices any veggie in a matter of seconds.
Mushroom Bolognese Sauce
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup red or yellow onion diced
- 2 celery stalk sliced thin
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 cups crimini or white button mushrooms chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 12 oz tomato sauce
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley chopped
- unrefined salt (real, pink, or Celtic salt) to taste
- black pepper to taste
- First, brown the beef: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, and then the ground beef. Break up any large clumps with a wooden spoon, and cook until it's no longer pink, about 8 minutes. (To make the sauce vegan / vegetarian, simply omit this step).
- Meanwhile, heat a separate large skillet over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, then the onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, and oregano. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, until everything is soft.
- Reduce the heat of the veggie pan to low, then add the tomato sauce, parsley, and the cooked beef once it's ready. Mix well, and simmer for at least 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Pour the sauce over your favorite pasta or zucchini noodles, and garnish with more fresh parsley.
Clearer Skin in Just 3 Days
Plus, you’ll receive The Glow Up Guide right away, a delicious 3-day meal plan to reduce redness and bumps, fast.