Meet your new favorite weeknight dinner: Tomato Basil & Artichoke Cod.
If you love Mediterranean ingredients – like olives, capers, artichokes, and basil- then you’ll love this dish.
This is similar to Cod alla Siciliana, a classic cod dish from Sicily, with my own twist. I added a few extra ingredients like artichokes and zucchini, so that you cook your veggies and protein in one dish. I also use tomato sauce in addition to chopped tomatoes, to infuse more flavor into every bite.
It’s incredibly easy to make and is a crowd pleaser. If you like, pair it with plain rice, or a lemon basil rice pilaf for a complete meal.
Tomato Basil Artichoke Cod
Cod & Veggies
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. When it’s hot, add the oil, then the onions, garlic, capers, olives, and oregano. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes before adding the tomato sauce, salt, and pepper. Cook until it bubbles, another 3 minutes or so.
- Pour half the sauce into an oven-safe baking dish, layer in the sliced zucchini, artichoke hearts, and sliced tomatoes. Toss it well. Then flatten out the veggies and add the cod on top. Pour the remaining sauce over the entire dish. Then top each filet with 2 slices of lemon and sprinkle the remaining capers and olives on top of the whole dish.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork (the time will vary depending on size and thickness of the fish).
- Garnish with fresh basil to serve.