This Not Toddy, a mocktail Hot Toddy, is made with classic ingredients including lemon, honey, and cinnamon, but replaces whiskey with rooibos tea, to further support gut and skin health.
Switch up your pasta sauce with this vibrant creamy Carrot Turmeric Sauce instead. It’s packed with anti-inflammatory ingredients, and brings a pop of color to your dinner table. Skip the cashews and black pepper to make it AIP-compliant.
Carrot Turmeric Pasta Sauce
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
- 1 box gluten-free pasta such as chickpea pasta
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 2 Tbsp garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 cups carrot peeled and sliced thin
- 1/4 cup cashews (raw) raw, or substitute hemp seeds
- 2 cups vegetable broth (low or no sodium) or water
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp unrefined salt (real, pink, or Celtic salt) pink or celtic
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Boil a pot of water for the pasta and cook according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Heat a medium stockpot over medium heat. Add the oil, then the onion, garlic, and turmeric. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Then add the carrot, cashews, and broth or water and cover. Cook for 10 minutes, until carrots are tender.
- Remove the carrot mixture from the heat and carefully transfer it to a blender. Add salt, pepper, and apple cider vinegar. Blend until smooth. (Conversely, use an immersion blender in the pot).
- Put the cooked pasta in the pot, pour in the carrot sauce, and mix well. To serve, plate and add a sprinkle of hemp seeds and sprouts. Add more salt and pepper to taste as desired.
Made with a blend of spices you may already have in your cabinets, this Green Glow Chai Tea contains powerful anti-inflammatory ingredients that support clear skin, healthy digestion, and blood sugar balance. [Read more…] about Green Glow Chai (Anti-Inflammatory Tea)
Spoon this tasty Pumpkin Seed Pesto over pasta, roasted or steamed veggies, zucchini noodles, seafood, or anywhere you want fresh flavor.
Pesto is typically made with pine nuts, however, they’re sometimes hard to find and expensive. So, toasted pumpkin seeds make an excellent alternative. Pesto also typically uses cheese, but this pesto is completely dairy-free and vegan. All you need is a good pinch of pink salt instead.
Pumpkin Seed Pesto Ingredient Benefits
- Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds provide a variety of minerals. Just one ounce provides 14% DV of zinc, 23% DV of iron, and 37% DV of magnesium. (1) Zinc supports our immune system and clear skin, iron helps with energy and hair growth, while magnesium fights depression and PMS, reduces insulin resistance, and helps our body better deal with stress. Pumpkin seeds also contain antioxidants like carotenoids and vitamin E. Antioxidants reduce inflammation and protect your cells from harmful free radicals.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is the most studied oil, and has the most documented health benefits. It provides antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits and supports heart and brain health. Unlike vegetable oils, olive oil won’t break you out.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice adds a touch of tart flavor and a boost of Vitamin C and antioxidants. Vitamin C supports a healthy immune system and collagen production.
- Pink Salt: Unrefined salt, like pink salt, adds a delicious salty flavor, with less sodium and dozens of more trace minerals. It tastes very salty, so you can use less than you normally would table salt.
Pumpkin Seed Pesto
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 7 minutes
Total Time 12 minutes
- First, toast the pumpkin seeds on your stovetop. Heat a pan over medium heat, add the pumpkin seeds (no oil needed). Shake the pan around and stir regularly, so they don’t burn, for about 5-7 minutes. They will get a little puffed up and crunchy.
- Add the pumpkin seeds, 2 cloves garlic, 1 cup parsley leaves, 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice, and a pinch of salt to a food processor or blender.
- Blend while slowly pouring in the olive oil. Scrape down the sides as needed. You can leave it a little chunky, or blend longer to make it a little smoother. Taste, and add more salt if needed.
- Spoon over roasted or steamed vegetables, zucchini noodles, seafood, or pasta.
Pumpkin Seed Pesto Serving Ideas
- Perfect on top of your favorite gluten-free-pasta
- Spoon over roasted or steamed vegetables like this Roasted Broccoli or Roasted Cauliflower
- Serve on top of seafood, such as Lemon Pepper Salmon or Lemon Pepper Cod
- Use as a salad dressing
- Use as a marinade
This medicinal Nettle & Rose Hips tea helps to clear acne and other inflammatory skin conditions when drank regularly.
The key to unlocking the skin clearing and nourishing benefits of nettle is to make a decoction – a form of tea in which the herbs are boiled in water for a long period of time (in this case an hour). This allows the tough nettle leaf to release more of its skin-nourishing nutrients – which you’ll miss out on by doing a quick steep of a nettle tea bag.
It’s super simple to make, and quite tasty, whether served hot or cold. If you’d like to serve it cold. Simply let it cool to room temperature before pouring over ice or refrigerating.
Benefits Of Nettle & Rose Hips Tea
- Nettle: Nettle is well-known for its beneficial effects on the skin. In fact, while researching nettle, I found an article published in the Associated Medical Journal in 1854, extolling how a simple nettle decoction drank daily healed even the most recalcitrant of inflammatory skin conditions and rashes. (1) Nettle is rich in antioxidants including polyphenols, which protect against inflammation and disease. Antioxidants help to protect the skin from free radical damage, keeping it healthy, clear, and ageless. (2, 3, 4) Some preliminary research suggests it may also aid in blood sugar regulation, which is critical for clear skin. (5)
- Rose Hips: Rose hips add a lovely floral and tart flavor to this tea. It’s also a rich source of polyphenols and other antioxidants, including vitamin C. Rose hips provide anti-inflammatory benefits and aid in wound repair which may help speed the healing of acne. (6, 7, 8)
Nettle And Rose Hips Tea
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
- 3 Tbsp. loose leaf nettle tea
- 5-6 cups water
- 1 Tbsp loose leaf rose hips or 2 rose hips tea bags
- For a tea pot with strainer: Add 3 tablespoons of nettle to your strainer. Then add water to your tea pot and place the strainer inside. Alternatively: Add water to a medium-sized saucepan along with the nettle.
- Bring the pot of water to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for an hour, or until the water reduces by close to half.
- Once your nettle tea is done steeping, add the rosehips to the teapot and let steep for another 3 to 5 minutes. If using a pan, strain the herbs out before serving.
- Drink it hot, or let it cool to room temperature before refrigerating it or pouring it over ice. This makes at least 3 servings, so it can also be enjoyed later. You can reheat the nettle tea later if you prefer it warm.
Clear Skin Recipes
Want more skin clearing recipes? Check out these 5 Drinks For Clear Skin and my Clear Skin Plan, a science-backed, doctor-approved program and meal plan to clear acne naturally through dietary and lifestyle changes. If you’ve tried everything else to no avail, it’s time to get to the root causes and support your skin from within.
This Blemish Blast Blueberry Smoothie is packed with antioxidant- and nutrient-rich ingredients that provide anti-inflammatory benefits to help reduce blemishes.
Blemish Blast Blueberry Smoothie Ingredients
Here is a breakdown of how the blemish blast blueberry smoothie ingredients support clear skin:
- Blueberries: Blueberries are rich in antioxidants that protect your body from free radicals, which are unstable molecules that can damage your cells and contribute to acne, inflammation, aging, and chronic disease. (1, 2, 3)
- Flaxseed: Fiber-rich flaxseed is also a source of omega-3 fatty acids, which provide anti-inflammatory benefits. Omega-3 rich foods can help reduce the size and redness of pimples and speed the rate at which wounds heal. (4)
- Hemp seed: Hemp seeds are an excellent source of easy-to-digest plant protein. They also provide fiber and omega-3s, as well as a variety of phytonutrients. (5, 6)
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds are an excellent source of fiber, providing a whopping 10g of fiber per ounce. Fiber helps to stabilize blood sugar, which is key to maintaining blemish-free skin. They’re also rich in antioxidants and omega-3. (7, 8)
- Banana: rich in fiber and powerful antioxidants that fight free radicals. (9, 10)
Blemish Blast Blueberry Smoothie
Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
- Combine all blueberry smoothie ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.*
- Pour smoothie into a glass and top with coconut shreds and blueberries.
*If you prefer a thinner consistency simply add more water or ice.
Clear Skin Recipes
Want more skin clearing recipes? Check out these 5 Drinks For Clear Skin. Also, check out my Clear Skin Plan, a science-backed, doctor-approved program and meal plan to clear acne naturally through dietary and lifestyle changes. If you’ve tried everything else to no avail, it’s time to get to the root causes and support your skin from within.