Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Bread…need I say more? This easy recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free and will blow your chocolate-loving mind.
When I studied abroad in France back in college, I used to love pain au chocolat: literally bread with chocolate inside. And in elementary school, the first “recipe” I created was a cookie sandwich: literally 2 Keebler rainbow chocolate chip cookies in between 2 slices of wonder bread. Yes, I seriously used to eat that.
Now, I’m more of a gluten-free, avocado toast kinda girl, but I used my chocolate-in-bread-loving past as inspiration for this healthier twist on pain au chocolat.
NOTE: For the chocolate chunks, I highly recommend buying a bar of your favorite refined sugar free dark chocolate, because I have yet to find a brand of chocolate chips on the market with a good ingredient list. For a list of my favorite dark chocolate bar brand picks, see The Best Dark Chocolate Brands, Updated.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it (by clicking the stars in the upper right of the recipe card, below), and don’t forget to tag a photo @mariamarlowe or #mariamarlowe on Instagram. I’d love to see what you come up with!
UPDATE & PSA: My friends over at Thrive Market are allowing me to give away FREE JARS OF ALMOND BUTTER to my readers. Thrive Market is an incredible online health food store (sort of like if Whole Foods, Amazon, and Costco had a baby). You get wholesale prices, 20-50% off grocery store prices, on most of your favorite healthy brand staples. (And no, you don’t have to buy in bulk). I calculated that they save me over $1,500 a year! Click this link to try Thrive Market and get a FREE JAR OF ALMOND BUTTER while you’re at it.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond butter (preferably without salt)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of pink salt (only if your almond butter is unsalted)
- 1 1/2 oz dark chocolate chunks*
- 1/2 banana, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 oz dark chocolate chunks*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you have a bullet blender, blend the bananas in it until liquified, and pour into a large bowl. If no blender, in a large bowl, mash well with a fork for a few minutes, until they turn into a smooth, lump-free liquid or soup-like texture.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients to the bowl and stir well until fully combined.
- Next, add the dry ingredients: almond flour, baking powder and 1 1/2 ounces of dark chocolate chunks. Stir well.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch loaf pan with coconut oil. Pour the batter into it.
- If you like, lay the sliced banana down the middle of the loaf, and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chunks on the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before removing from pan.
- Slice and enjoy!
- *For the dark chocolate chunks, I prefer to make my own from a high quality dark chocolate bar sweetened with a gentler natural sweetener, such as coconut sugar. Simply put it on a cutting board, and chop into small chunks.