This makes getting out of bed in the dark worthwhile. This warming winter oatmeal, a.k.a Cinnamon, Coconut, Cardamom, & Clove Oatmeal with Stewed Pears will warm you and fill you on cold winter mornings.
It may look a little boring, but promise it will delight the tastebuds. Stewed pears naturally sweeten it, coconut makes it extra creamy and satisfying, while the spices offer warmth and flavor. This is one of my AM go-to’s. And it’s ready in 7 minutes!
Oats: A satisfying breakfast choice loaded with fiber, oats support healthy digestion and will keep you satiated for hours. Some studies suggest their beta-glucan content also supports a strong immune system.
Cinnamon: This aromatic and warming spice may help stabilize your blood sugar and lower your bad (LDL) cholesterol. In Ayurveda, cinnamon is used to treat indigestion, colds, and diabetes. It possesses both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, so be sure to sprinkle it on if you have any sort of yeast or candida overgrowth. It’s also a great way to add sweetness without sugar.
Cardamom: In traditional medicines of the east, cardamom has been used to treat a wide array of health problems, from digestive issues to respiratory problems and heart disease, and now we have scientific research to back up cardamom’s ability to lower blood pressure, prevent blood clots, ease asthma and clear up a sinus infection. Additionally, its volatile oils quickly kill bacteria in the mouth and freshen breath.
Cloves: Cloves are an excellent mouth cleanser, and in ancient times were used to clean teeth and freshen breath before toothbrushes. Cloves are a powerful antibacterial and antiviral, hence why they freshen the breath and also aid in speeding up recovery from colds and flu. They also aid in reversing a variety of digestive issues, from nausea and gas to diarrhea and bloating.
Enjoy getting to know what food can do for your health? Download my Ultimate Grocery Store Guide for a more in-depth look at why you are what you eat!
- 1 cup water
- 3 cloves
- 3 cardamom pods
- ½ cup rolled oats (5-minute kind)
- 1 apple or pear, diced or sliced
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. raw walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp. shredded coconut
- 2-3 tsp. ground flax
- salt, to taste (optional)
- Add water, cloves, and cardamom to a pot, and bring to a boil. Add oats, apple or pear, and cinnamon, cover, and bring down to medium low. Cook for 7 minutes, or until water is completely absorbed (it will take slightly longer than the normal 5 minutes, because of the apple). Remove cloves and cardamom pods and discard. Pour into a bowl, top with nuts, coconut, and flax, and a pinch of salt, and mix well.