Here’s a reason to eat more radishes: They aid in weight loss.
Radishes are a member of the cruciferous veggie family, well known for their cancer-fighting potential.
They also happen to be an excellent weight loss food for many reasons:
- They are high in water content, making them filling,
- They are only about 1 calorie each, and
- They contain flavanoids, plant chemicals believed to play a role in weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight, according to a Harvard study published in BMJ. (1)
Spoon this salsa on top of salad or quinoa dishes, or on this veggie taco.
- 1 1/2 cups radish, diced (about 7-8)
- 1 cup cucumber, seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 2 tsp. jalapeno or serrano chile, minced*
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, and toss well.
- Saves well. Use on salads, quinoa, or the veggie taco recipe.
- *This makes a medium salsa. Use more or less depending on heat tolerance.
(1) Dietary flavonoid intake and weight maintenance: three prospective cohorts of 124 086 US men and women followed for up to 24 years. BMJ 2016;352:i17