Who says you can’t get full off of plants? These fully loaded slimming veggie tacos will fill you up, without filling you out!
Fully loaded and slimming seems like an oxymoron, but when you’re talking plant food, it totally makes sense. The high fiber, water, and protein content makes these hard to overeat. The ingredients are nutrient dense and contribute to satiety and maintaining an ideal weight. With just two of these fully loaded slimming tacos, you’ll feel satisfied, but not overly full.
They definitely take a little longer to put together than most of my recipes, but if you make them on the weekend, you’ll have leftovers for a few days, and it’s definitely worth it.
Fully Loaded Slimming Taco
This is probably the healthiest taco recipe. The “shell” is a romaine lettuce leaf, and it’s topped with a delicious walnut lentil taco “meat”, along with my slimming radish salsa, guacamole, and cashew sour cream.
- 1 cup black lentils (you will use 1 3/4 cups cooked lentils)**
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- RADISH SALSA
- 1 1/2 cups radish, diced (about 7-8)
- 1 cup cucumber, seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 2 tsp. jalapeno or serrano chile, minced*
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 2 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 2 tsp. jalapeno, seeds removed and minced (for medium..add more or less depending on heat tolerance)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
- CASHEW SOUR CREAM
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight in filtered water
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water*
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves
- Cook the lentils: In a saucepan, combine lentils with 4 cups water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until tender (cook time will vary depending on the type of lentils you use—see package). Drain excess water.
- Toast the walnuts: Preheat oven to 300°F. Add walnuts onto a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 10 to 13 minutes, watching closely, until lightly golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Make the salsa: Combine all salsa ingredients in a bowl, and toss well.
- Make the guacamole: Combine all guacamole ingredients in a bowl and mash with a fork until well combined. Leave a little chunky.
- Make the Cashew Sour Cream: Drain the cashews. Then, place all cashew sour cream ingredients in a bullet blender, and blend on high until smooth. You can add additional water to thin it out as desired.
- Prepare the taco meat: Add 1 3/4 cups cooked lentils (you'll have some leftover) and all the toasted walnuts into a food processor, along with the spices and salt. Pulse until chopped (make sure to leave texture). (If using a vitamix or blender, blend on the lowest setting). Add in the oil and the water until combined.
- Assemble: Add a large lettuce leaf onto a plate, top with taco meat, radish salsa, guacamole, and a drizzle of cashew sour cream.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in sealed containers for a few days.
- *Can use green lentils as well. Cook according to package instructions.