Watermelon Gazpacho = Summer in a Bowl
Watermelon gazpacho is a refreshing twist on the classic cold summer soup recipe. It’s a perfect appetizer for a summer soiree as it’s easy to make ahead and has to be chilled anyway. Plus, hello, it’s absolutely gorgeous! Just look at all that lycopene! (a.k.a the super powerful antioxidant that gives watermelon its rosy red hue and it’s anti-aging benefits).
This version has a nice little kick thanks to chile pepper, and the sweetness of the watermelon is balanced by the lime juice.
It comes together quickly, you simply throw everything in a blender…my favorite type of recipe!
- 6 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 red chili pepper (fresno chile), seeded
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Place watermelon, 1 1/2 cups cucumber (reserve rest for garnish), tomatoes, red chili pepper, garlic and lime juice in a Vitamix or high speed blender. Blend on medium until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Taste, and add more lime juice 1 tsp at a time if needed to balance the flavor if your watermelon is very sweet. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Place mint and oil in a blender and blend until fully incorporated.
- After gazpacho has chilled, pour into bowls, top with diced cucumber and drizzle with mint oil.
- This is the perfect party dish, and can easily be made ahead.
Maria Marlowe is a holistic nutrition and wellness coach who uses real food to help her clients improve their health, weight, and skin. She offers a healthy eating meal plan that teaches you how to batch cook, as well as one to clear up acne. She has ongoing group workshops both in NYC and online, and writes healthy and delicious plant-based recipes for her popular blog. She is also the author of the #1 New Release on Amazon, The Real Food Grocery Guide, the most practical guide to selecting the healthiest foods, without going broke, which has been praised by Dr. Oz and InStyle magazines. You can find her on instagram @mariamarlowe.