Even if you hate kale, you’ll love this.
If you already love kale, well then, this will probably be your new favorite dish.
There is a special something about this salad that makes everyone, even those who have an aversion to healthy food go back for seconds.
Going back for seconds of raw kale? Yes.
Now the “special sauce” is less of a sauce and more of a technique of massaging the kale with your hands. It is the crucial step in making this salad irresistible, so no improvising, it just won’t cut it.
It also stores well in the refrigerator, so it’s an excellent dish to make the night before and bring to work for lunch the next day.
Try it out and you be the judge. Leave a comment below and let me know how you liked it!
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, torn into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- 2 tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ lime
- salt, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/4 cup seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, hemp or mixture of all 3)
- 1. Put kale in a large bowl.
- 2. Top with red onion, avocado, cilantro, and salt. Squeeze the juice of the lime into the bowl as well.
- 3. Use your hands to “massage” and squeeze the avocado into the kale for 1-2 minutes. (Your hands will get messy, but it won’t taste the same if you just mix it with utensils). See the video below for a demonstration. The kale will shrink is size and appear darker. This is how you know it’s ready.
- 4. Wash your hands. Top the salad with seeds and red pepper flakes, then toss.
- 5. Serve & enjoy!