133 Flares 133 Flares ×
I made this recipe this weekend for a dinner party, after being inspired by the curried kale and chickpea dish at V Spot Cafe. It was a big hit, so I’m excited to share it with you…besides being super healthy, it’s super fast to put together.
Before I give you the recipe, of course I have to explain the benefits:
Turmeric: Highly anti-inflammatory and known as a potent protector against many types of cancer.
Shitake Mushrooms: Excellent promoter of cardiovascular and immune health, they are also a great source of iron and B vitamins.
Kale: One of the most nutrient dense and anti-oxidant rich foods available, kale is a powerful blood and cell detoxifier.
Alright, here is the recipe:
Warm & Spicy Kale with Shitake Mushrooms
Write a review
- 1 tbs. coconut oil
- 1/2 of a red onion (about 2 oz.), diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, grated or minced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 10 shitake mushroom caps, sliced thinly
- 1 1/4 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 head kale, sliced into 1 cm ribbons
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1. Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a pan over medium low heat.
- 2. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute before adding the spices. Let cook an additional minute before adding ginger, bell pepper, shitake mushrooms, and chickpeas. Cook for another 2 minutes, or until the mushroom get glossy and the peppers start to get soft.
- 3. Add in the kale and cover, for 1 minute. It will start to shrink and turn bright green. You may have to add in batches, as it starts off with a lot of volume, but quickly shrinks down. Stir the kale, and cover an additional 2 minutes or so, until all of it is uniformly bright green and soft. Remove from heat, add salt and pepper to taste.
Maria Marlowe http://mariamarlowe.com/